The many, many challenges and uncertainty that 2020 has brought with it has left almost everyone around the globe anxious, exhausted, and fed up. Mental health has taken a huge knock and there is no doubt that it is going to take a long time for most individuals to recover and find their feet again. If you are looking for ways in which to overcome a challenging year, to speed up your own mental and emotional healing, and to do something special just for yourself, now is a great time to consider taking on a passion project.
What is a passion project?
It is essentially a project that you ‘work’ on simply because it makes you happy, gives you satisfaction, or because it provides you with some other worthwhile benefit. A passion project will look different for everyone. For example, it could revolve around learning how to paint or how to bake, or it could involve volunteering at a children’s home or animal shelter.
How do you decide on your passion project?
That’s easy. Just think about what you love the most, what you enjoy doing, and where your natural strengths lie. Ask yourself what you see yourself doing with all of your free time when you eventually retire one day. The answer to this question will help you to mould a passion project that will fulfil you in many wonderful ways.
What are the benefits of a passion project?
- A passion project encourages you to spend time doing something that you are truly passionate about. It equals some well-deserved and much-needed ‘me-time’ amidst a sea of other responsibilities.
- It can provide you with a renewed sense of purpose, which can help to ease the symptoms of depression, as well as keep you busy during the times of COVID when it is recommended to stay at home as much as possible.
- It offers a healthy approach to coping with and reducing stress.
- It allows a safe space to express yourself and to allow your creativity to flow.
- Depending on what your passion project is, there is a good chance that it will also look great on your CV following your graduation.
- It will have you feeling good about life once again. It could end up being the reason why you get out of bed with a smile on your face every morning, why you remain in good spirits even when things do not work out as planned, and why you feel confident and good about yourself.
- It will equip you with new skills, as well as assist you in honing your existing skills.
- It could lead to an opportunity to start your own business.
- It could help you decide where you want your career to take you and give you the push that you need to change your major (if you have been considering doing so for a while).
Happiness. Contentment. Stress Relief. Opportunity. Yes, a passion project is just what the doctor ordered. In fact, it could be all that you need to overcome a challenging year and to greet the new year with renewed resilience, determination, and positivity.