What is Intuitive Eating?
Ultimately, intuitive eating is all about restoring and maintaining a healthy relationship with food. It encourages you to get in touch with your emotional state, your diet mentalities, and how all of this affects how you feel about food, what you eat, how much you eat and why.
It is also about learning to listen to your body – understanding and reacting to your hunger cues, for example. Say no to calorie-counting and good-bye to food restricting for good. Intuitive eating means you will never have to worry about these things again.
Does it Help with Weight Loss?
The intuitive eating model was never designed specifically for weight loss. Rather, it was invented to improve one’s physical health and emotional wellbeing. In almost all cases, however, a healthier body weight is achieved when the model is followed correctly.
How to Get Started
Intuitive eating includes 10 core principles. These principles are as follows:
• Reject the diet mentality: Stop thinking obsessively about weight loss, cutting out certain foods, limiting the amount that you eat etc.
• Honour your hunger: When you feel hungry, EAT. It’s as simple as that.
• Make peace with food: Stop viewing food as the enemy and rather see it as a way in which to nourish, care for and love your body.
• Challenge the food police: Avoid categorising food as ‘good’ and ‘bad’.
• Respect your fullness: When you feel full, stop eating.
• Discover the satisfaction factor: Focus all of your attention on what you are eating and thoroughly enjoy and savour each and every bite.
• Honor your feelings without using food: Stop comfort eating. Work hard on learning how to admit to, talk about and deal with your feelings as and when you experience them.
• Respect your body: Stop fat-shaming yourself or wishing you had a slimmer waist or thinner arms. Your body does so many incredible things and has been there to support you through thick and thin. Love it. Wholeheartedly.
• Exercise — feel the difference: Exercise is a great way to feel amazing, from the outside in.
• Honour your health: Health should always, always come first. Make it your number one priority going forward.
So, leave the diet culture behind, embrace your beautiful body and endeavour to look after it to the best of your ability. Make intuitive eating a lifestyle today!