Obstacles are part of life. Just when you think you have it all figured out, there are curves, bumps and rides. Fun obstacle course challenges can serve as a metaphor for life. Like life, they are full of surprises and take a lot out of you. Yet they show that if you press on, one obstacle at a time, you are bound to win.
Obstacle course racing is a combination of strength, agility, speed and endurance all mixed in with a huge amount of chutzpah. Just like any challenge in life it takes a bit of practice and training to get over the next obstacle – prepare yourself with a couple of our top tips:
- Take a cold shower in the morning for at least 60 seconds. It will toughen you up and prepare you for those cold water sections. It’s also a cheaper rush than a cappuccino!
- Test out your mettle during these winter months by leaving the winter woolies back in your digz when you go shopping. Step out in a good old T-shirt, shorts and slops.
- Ditch the trolley and carry all your shopping bags when you do the monthly shop. In fact ditch the car too – walk and haul.
- Cajole a buddy to join you. Why suffer alone when you can share the pain with a friend, and they are great to keep you motivated if you at an all-time training low.
- Practice your fireman’s lifts with your new training buddy – who knows who might have to carry who.
- Get fit, join your local park run, find a parkour group, run a few trails, hills, mountains; add some intense workouts with weird names like fartlek and burpies. Learn to plank crawl (to get under the barbed wire!), practice your pull ups (until you can do more than 1 and at least 10!).
Feeling brave by now? This is the really hard part – choosing which type of obstacle challenge is right for you. Here are just a few of our favourites:
Are you looking for a super cool obstacle course without the mud, dirt and water? Then look no further. What makes the Gajiga Run extra special are the seven enormous inflatable obstacles placed throughout the 5km run.
It’s suitable for the entire family, professional athletes and social adventure seekers.
- Date: 2 September 2018
- Venue: Thaba Trails, Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Website: www.gajiga.co.za
The Fedhealth IMPI Challenge
If you are not scared of getting dirty, then this muddy trail is just for you. Top this off with music, adrenaline and unmatched fun. After completing the race, the festival area ignites to take you to even higher highs (as though that’s even possible). Challenge your inner impi.
There’s something for everyone from elite to mini, corporate to dash. Bring your whole family if you dare.
- Date: 6 – 7 October 2018
- Venue: Van Gaalens Kaasmakerji, Gauteng
- Website: www.impichallenge.co.za
The Toyota Warrior Race
As one of South Africa’s largest obstacle racing series, the Toyota Warrior Race powered by Reebok, is said to captivate with three categories that represent all fitness levels. They are namely, Rookie, Commando and Black Ops. There will be obstacle races for individuals and teams. Endurance, determination and an adventurous heart are a must. Be brave, be better than you believe you are and #BeMore and you have to Be there to be any of these so enter now!
- Date: 24 (start) – 25 November 2018 (end)
- Venue: WARRIOR RACE JHB, Soweto, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
- Website: https://warrior.co.za/warrior-event/2018-warrior8/
Start training today so that you can be in your ultimate form before taking on these adrenalin filled obstacles. Fun is the order of the day. Whether you are using natural remedies or above-board scientific hacks; come prepared. There really is something for everyone.