Cleaning is a drag, but you also don’t want to live in a pig-sty. What to do? We’ve compiled a list of tips from cleaning and organising experts, so you can keep your space spic and span, with minimal effort.
Instead of waiting for weeks until you can’t bear it anymore, spend just 30 minutes a day tidying, and you’ll never have to be embarrassed when your friends pay you a surprise visit. Read these steps, set a timer for 30 minutes (so you don’t get distracted), and GO!
- Make your bed.
- Put away any jewellery and clothes that are lying around (fold the clothes first!)
- Straighten out the things on your bedside table and desk.
- Wash the dishes and wipe the kitchen sink clean.
- Using an all-purpose cleaner with a damp sponge or cloth, wipe the surfaces and the top of the stove.
- Hang dish- and tea towels up neatly.
- Clear all clutter off the couch.
- Neaten any throws you have on it and plump up the cushions.
- Put remote controls together in a drawer.
- Using a microfibre cloth, wipe all surfaces to get rid of dust.
- Arrange books and magazines neatly on the coffee table.
- Throw away old newspapers and magazine (or better yet, recycle them).
- Use a hand-held vacuum cleaner to clear any crumbs.
- Wipe out the basin.
- Clean the mirror with some paper towel and Windowlene or similar.
- Wipe all taps down with an all-purpose cleaner.
- Use a dry towel, or a squeegee if you have one, to wipe down the shower door.
- Spray a daily cleanser shower mist onto the shower curtain and walls.
- Swish a toilet brush around the toilet bowl.
- Wipe the toilet seat and rim with some toilet paper and flush.
- Wash your hands!
This just leaves the floors of your living space. You can do these once a week, on the weekend. Sweep or vacuum the floors, then mop with hot water and floor cleaner.