She stole the hearts of all South Africans with her striking natural beauty and incredible intellect when she was crowned Miss South Africa in August 2019. It was only a matter of time for her to conquer the world with her majesty!
On the 8th of December 2019, the local beauty was named Miss Universe – the third South African to nab the respected title. There is no denying that she deserved the honour and will continue to make South Africa proud. Here are a few facts that you need to know about the fabulous and inspirational Ms. Zozibini Tunzi.
- Zozibini was born in Tsolo, eSdwadweni in the Eastern Cape on 18 September 1993, making her a Virgo.
- She was born into a family that was passionate about education. Her mother is a school principal and her father works at the Department of Higher Education and Training.
- She has four sisters (she is the second born), and jokes that her initial motivation to enter Miss South Africa was to prove that she is the most beautiful of the four.
- 2019 was not the first time Zozibini entered the coveted pageant. She first entered to take part in 2017, which was the year that Demi-Leigh Nel-Peters walked away with the crown (as well as the Miss Universe title).
- Zozibini currently holds a national diploma in Public Relations from the Cape Peninsula University of Technology and was working on obtaining her B.Tech at the same institution when she won the Miss South Africa crown. She has since taken a leave of absence to fulfil her duties but plans to return to her studies as soon as time allows her to.
- She is passionate about advocating for natural beauty in black girls and black women, hence the reason why she entered the competition sans a wig or weave. She is also intensely passionate about doing her part to put an end to gender-based violence.
- She cites Nelson Mandela, Steve Biko, and Princess Diana as her greatest role models and influencers.
- Her favourite food is umngqusho (a traditional dish made using stamp mielies and sugar beans) and beef stew.
The Student Digz team would like to wish Zozibini Tunzi all the luck in the world as she begins her reign as both Miss South Africa and Miss Universe. Yaaaas, QUEEN!