We’ve all been there: that moment when the exams are around the corner and you’re cramming in what you can to the point where the text on your page starts to swim and look a little like hieroglyphics! This is a clear sign your brain needs a break from study exhaustion – there is no point in pushing yourself to try and absorb any more information. You would actually be better off taking a break and refreshing those brain cells!
Braamfontein and surrounds are choc-a-block with incredible distractions for a much-needed recharge. If you know where to go you will find some of the trendiest fashion outlets, restaurants and entertainment spots in Johannesburg, while mountain biking trails, the botanical gardens and Johannesburg Zoo are also close by!
Just some of the best ways to take a short one or two-hour break from your studying include:
Live music & comedy
- The Orbit – Take a load off and find a little inspiration at The Orbit, located in the heart of Braamfontein. Offering sultry jazz performances by some of the country’s best jazz artists as well as comedy nights with renowned comedian Kagiso Lediga.
- The Living Room – Enjoy the outdoorsy, chilled vibe of a relaxing Sunday session at the Living Room in Maboneng. Sip on a sundowner and lap up some relaxing jazz music with friends.
Food & drink
- Maboneng Precinct – Particularly great on a Sunday – visit the Arts on Main market in Maboneng Precinct, open from 10am – 3pm. Selling an array of locally designed goods, ranging from delectable foods, clothes and accessories, this is a great way to unwind with friends for an hour or two, grab a great meal and catch your breath away from the books
- 44 Stanley – Find this quaint collection of boutique bars and restaurants just outside Braamfontein, off Empire Road, and enjoy a relaxed lunch and stroll on a sunny day at 44 Stanley.
- 86 Public Pizzeria – Set in the heart of Braamfontein, recharge yourself with a delicious, wood-fired pizza from 86 Public – watch the people go by and lap up the sunshine during your well-deserved study break!
For the outdoorsy
- The Braamfontein Spruit Trail – It may seem as if there aren’t many spots to enjoy a touch of nature in Braamfontein, but just a short drive away you will find the beautiful Spruit Trail, which can either be hiked or mountain biked. The trail links the Emmarentia dam to the Johannesburg Botanical gardens. The trail is straightforward and offers little room for getting lost!
- Johannesburg Botanical Gardens – For a metropolitan city, Johannesburg offers a stunning botanical garden just outside Braamfontein, overlooking the Emmarentia Dam. Pack a picnic, kick off your shoes and bask in the glorious sunlight while recharging your memory bank! There are also great bird-watching opportunities and because of its close location to the dam, you can enjoy water activities such as canoeing, kayaking and fishing.
When it comes to exam time and studying, finding a good work-study life balance is extremely important. If you push yourself to the point of exhaustion, there may be no turning back from it and the recovery time may be far longer than you can afford! Taking regular breaks from your books is imperative to avoid a mental fatigue that can become debilitating, clouding even the simplest of thoughts and daily decisions. Give yourself the break you deserve and explore Braamfontein while you’re at it!