Interested in improving yourself and achieving success? Then you might like to try affirmations as a tool to help you along the way. They’re basically a way of repeatedly stating your intentions, which programmes your subconscious mind to start working on making it happen. Liken them to a form of exercise which raises the level of feel-good hormones in the brain instead of the body. By affirming your thoughts you might suddenly come across useful pieces of information, meet people who can help you or find your behaviour changes to bring you in alignment with what you want.
How to use affirmations
It’s quite simple really:
- Think about what you want; for example, to pass your exams, meet new people or feel confident.
- Put together a statement that describes it.
- Write the statement down on a small piece of paper and put it somewhere you can easily see or get to it. You might stick it on your mirror or keep it in your wallet.
- Say the statement three times whenever you think about it. It’s also a good idea to have a trigger for this, for example, as you step into the shower, brush/gel your hair or lock your front door, so that whenever you take that action, it triggers your memory to say your affirmations.
There are a few things to bear in mind when you’re putting together your affirmations. They should:
- Be short and assertive
- Be positive – avoid words like ‘’no’’, ‘’never’’ and ‘’don’t’’
- Be in the present tense, as if they are happening right now
- Generate a positive associated emotion – imagine how you would feel if you achieved your aim
- I easily remember what I’ve studied
- I see positive opportunities all around me
- I love and respect myself
- I stand up for myself
- I make good decisions for myself
- I am open and approachable
- I easily attract new friends
- I am confident/beautiful/handsome/hot/clever [pick one]
Bear in mind that if you’ve been thinking or behaving in a certain way for years, it might take a while to overcome that programming, but it’s worth persevering. Every time you say your affirmations, you are essentially replacing that old thought pattern with your new one until eventually it sticks, and miraculously, you find yourself effortlessly achieving what you set out to do!